Pages

Friday 8 March 2013

Cold sores (oral herpes simplex) Definition, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment.

Cold sores (oral herpes simplex)

A cold sore  is a painful and unsightly, though not  normally serious, recurrent virus infection of the  area  around the  lips.

Causes

Cold  sores are caused by the  herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1).
Transmission of infection is through transfer of the  virus via saliva to mucous membranes, e.g. by kissing.
The  infection is usually contracted in childhood; it may  not  manifest clinically for several years or at all,  but  the  virus is never eliminated from  the  body.
Following attacks, the  virus regresses to the  ganglia of the  trigeminal and lumbosacral nerves, where it lies  dormant until one  of several trigger factors or lowered immunity allows it to break out  again.
Attacks are frequently triggered by the  common cold, hence the  common name of the  condition. Outbreaks also  often follow exposure to the  sun, giving rise  to the  other common name, sun blisters.
Other trigger factors include: fatigue; stress; exposure to cold weather and wind; trauma around the  mouth; hormonal changes associated with the  menstrual cycle.

Epidemiology

Cold  sores are very  common: about 80% of the  population are asymptomatic carriers of the  virus, and 20–25% of these (about 8 million people) suffer, on average, two  symptomatic outbreaks per  year.

Signs  and symptoms

Outbreaks may  begin with a prodromal phase of up  to 24 hours before any visible signs appear, during which the  area  on or around the  lips begins to tingle, burn or itch.
Erythema then develops, followed by the  formation of painful and irritating fluid-filled blisters on the  lips and skin around the  mouth, which break down
into shallow, weeping ulcers within 1–3 days.



The  ulcers dry  and form  crusts, which are shed, and the  area  heals within a further 2 weeks.
The  total length of an episode is usually 10–20 days.
Initial outbreaks in children typically manifest as gingivostomatitis, with lesions all over  the  inside of the  mouth and symptoms of systemic infection. Primary infection in adolescents manifests as pharyngitis, with lesions in the throat and symptoms similar to glandular fever.

Differential diagnosis

Mouth ulcers: these occur on the  mucous membranes and tongue inside the mouth, not  on the  outside of the  lip  and mouth.
Chickenpox: vesicles can  occur both around the  outside and inside the  mouth, but they are also  widespread on other parts of the  body.
Impetigo: a bacterial skin infection, more common in children, that usually affects the  face but  can  spread more widely. Lesions are itchy and not  confined to the  area  round the  lips, although they may  first appear there.
Lip cancer: lesions develop slowly and are initially painless.
Primary chancre of syphilis: sores can  occur on the  lip.  A single hard ulcer appears, which is painless, followed by swelling and hardening of lymph glands in the  neck, then spreading to lymph glands elsewhere in the  body.
Angular cheilitis: cracks occurring at the  corners of the  mouth that become inflamed and macerated. It is most common in elderly denture wearers.

Symptoms  and circumstances for referral

young children and babies
sores that do not  heal within 14 days
painless sores
multiple sores
systemic symptoms
frequent attacks
any  eye involvement. HSV in the  eyes  can  cause herpes simplex keratitis, a potentially sight-threatening infection
atopic and immunocompromised patients.

Treatment

Cold  sores are difficult to treat – even systemic antiviral therapy has  not  proven particularly effective. Non-prescription treatments are the  antiviral agents, aciclovir and penciclovir, and preparations for symptomatic relief containing antiseptics, astringents and local anaesthetics.

Aciclovir
Aciclovir is presented as a 5%  cream.

Cold sores (oral herpes simplex)

Aciclovir is a synthetic analogue of guanine. Its spectrum of activity is specific to human pathogenic viruses that produce thymidine kinase, of which HSV-1  is one.
Aciclovir is converted by thymidine kinase within viral cells to aciclovir triphosphate, which is then incorporated into viral DNA instead of the deoxyguanosine triphosphate required for DNA synthesis and replication.
The  cream is applied five times daily, at 4-hourly intervals, starting, if possible, as soon as prodromal symptoms occur. Treatment can  be continued for up  to 10 days, if necessary.
Evidence of the  effectiveness of topical aciclovir has  not  been convincing, but it may  shorten attacks by a day  or two  if use  is begun early enough.
There is limited evidence that aciclovir cream reduces recurrence of cold sores, but  little proof that it protects against attacks caused by ultraviolet radiation, one  of the  most common triggers of the  condition.
Aciclovir cream is licensed for use  in children and pregnant women.

Penciclovir
Penciclovir is available as 1%  cream.
Its antiviral activity and effectiveness are similar to that of aciclovir.
It is applied 2-hourly during waking hours.

Other preparations
Products containing combinations of constituents with local anaesthetic and analgesic effects, such as lidocaine, choline salicylate and phenol, counterirritants such as ammonia solution and menthol, and astringents such as zinc sulphate and tannic acid, are  marketed to reduce discomfort and promote faster healing of sores while the  infection takes its  course. Some are  formulated with alcoholic bases, which may  have a drying effect  on  sores and speed up healing. The  bland cream bases of some products may  have a soothing effect.
Combination preparations for cold sores are  relatively innocuous. Creams
can  be applied as frequently as necessary, although lotions and gels  are  limited to three or four  applications per  day.

Additional  advice

To prevent spread of infection to the  eyes:
– patients should wash their hands after  applying treatment
– women should be very  careful when applying eye makeup if they have a cold sore.
To prevent spread of infection to others, people with cold sores should not share towels, face flannels and cutlery with others.
For sufferers whose attacks are triggered by sunlight, an ultraviolet-blocking lip salve or high-factor sunscreen is an effective prophylactic

15 comments:

  1. During my time I was diagnosed of Herpes and HIV/Aids I was advised not to speak to certain people about my Health “orthodox side” because they’re all lying shills and sociopaths or not take seriously scientific information on HIV because according to the denialists it’s all propaganda from the “AIDS establishment”. I decided to do some search, Rethinking AIDS and Herpes denialism in general, it caused a wave of attacks against Herbal Medicine and medicated drugs, anger, disbelief and insults with some members even alluding to the fact that I was the leader of Rethinking AIDS at the time. Of course I wasn’t and I always reminded them that I was and independent even if I was positive of those diseases. I come across a search on how Dr Itua cure people suffering from, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis, Cancer, Epilepsy,Copd, then I decided to give a try although i have had a lot of stories about Nigeria scam so I was scared of it at first then I had a second thought telling me to give a try so i finally order for it and it was sent to me through courier service and I take it for two weeks and I was healed, I still find it difficult today to be real I'm living for a year now without outbreak or taking ARV Drugs, I'm supporting Dr Itua Herbal Center and also promoting his herbal medicine online for people suffering from any kind of disease to contact him on Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number On...+2348149277967. At this point of view regarding HIV/AIDS, HERPES, GENITALS, WART, COLD SORE. You can say I was very involved with the movement; I spoke on radio shows about Dr Itua, filmed my own YouTube videos, wrote my own articles about Dr Itua and attempted to inform every person I could about this information. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m here to testify about what Dr Okosun did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Rose Smith on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Okosun on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr Okosun prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as Dr Okosun assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact Dr.Okosun for help via drokosun55@gmail or whatsapp +2348124363791 

      Delete
    2. Some days, things do not happen the way you want them to be. They fall
      apart, and you start to worry. Worse, you feel discouraged and lonely,
      thinking that there is no other way to straighten things up Natural herbs
      have cured so many illness that drugs and injection can't cure I've seen
      the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work natural herbs
      have done in people's lives. i read a lot of people's testimonies online on
      how they were cured of Herpes, HIV, Diabetics, Lymphoma, Fibroid, Cancer
      etc by Dr voodoo herbal medicine, so i decided to contact the doctor Dr
      voodoo also cured me from HIV I will recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone
      reading this article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything
      email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com also his whatsApp
      +2348140120719

      Delete
    3. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

      Delete
    4. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
      HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
      searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
      Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
      Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
      been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
      listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
      him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
      it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
      my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
      you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
      and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
      problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
      or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

      Delete
    5. Have you ever wonder if there is cure to Herpes? Yes there is cure with Dr Noah healing traditional remedy kindly contact Dr Noah if you are suffering from any disease via Call/Text +1 310 982-4670,
      website: https://noahmedicalcentre.webs.com/

      Delete
  2. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past one years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr Goodwin and she also gave the email address: drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Goodwin telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr Goodwin assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com or you can WhatsApp him on +2348054615060

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m here to testify about what Dr Okosun did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Rose Smith on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Okosun on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr Okosun prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as Dr Okosun assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact Dr.Okosun for help via drokosun55@gmail or whatsapp +2348124363791 

    ReplyDelete
  4. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhotacured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DREbhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am Joy Bella from Houston, Texas, USA. I was living with HPV(human papilloma virus) for almost 2 years, I was not myself, my body was always itching with pains until I was on the internet searching for a remedy. So luckily, i was reading testimonials of clients who was cured of herpes by the amazing spell caster named Dr Oluta spell doctor from West Africa.I contacted him by email, and within 15 minutes he got back to me and ask of my details which i provide to him, he consulted his oracle and told me the solution to my problem and how to go about it, i did is he told me and about the two days i got the cure which he prepared and send to me through DHL service, i took the cure as instructed by him getting to two days i was cured, my HPV(human papilloma virus) was cured up. All thanks to the superb healing herbs of Dr oluta
    You too can get in contact with him today if you wanna be cured from HPV(human papilloma virus) you having by email:  dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349065326267
    you can still get in touch with me to know more my cure, here is mine email joybella425@gmail.com 
    Thank you so much great one.. I will continue to testify of your goodness to the universe.    

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of dr ebacol who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Ebacol email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 weeks and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address drebacolherbalhome1@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348159042641 Dr Ebacol also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Ebacol and be free from suffering.       

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY APPRECIATION AND GRATITUDE TO DR OSEREMEN WHO CURE ME FROM HERPES ,I have been suffering from herpes over 3 years of my marriage and it was really difficult and heartbreaking for me because the symtoms were very terrible and difficult for me, i search for cure, went to different hospital but still no hope untill i saw a testimonies of someone who cure of herpes by dr Oseremen i took the chance to contact the dr Oseremen who have the natural cure to herpes, he assure me of his herbal medication which i listen to his advice and i bought his herbal medication and i used it as instructed by  dr Oseremen, in a month time i went to the hospital for scan and they confirm that there is no trace or sign of herpes in me and now am happy and gladly with my family. contact dr Oseremen for more information Gmail dr.oseremenvadi@gmil.com and  contact himHE IS ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE TREATMENT OF OTHER AILMENT1 HIV/AIDS.2 KIDNEY DISEASES.3 HEPATITIS.4 LOW SPERM COUNT.5 CANCER DISEASES.6 FIBRIOD DISEASES.7 GONORRHEAL.8 FALLOPIAN TUBE.9 PREGNANCY.10 BRING YOUR EX LOVER BACK. ETC.THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP DOCTOR..dr.oseremenvadi@gamil.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again I want to appreciate Dr owobu for helping me with his herbal medicine to cure my herpes. virus completely, I really suffered from this virus for the past 2yrs, Right now I'm herpes negative after using the herbal medicine Dr owobu sent to me .I give all thanks to God for leading me to Dr owobu who was able to cure me completely from herpes virus , Dr owobu you are the best traditional doctor in the world God bless you sir, conctact Dr owobu for cure if you have been passing through similar diseases or virus like. herpes.HIV.gastritis.fibroids.etc via.his WhatsApp contact +2348114477270.or you can call him. or email him at drowobuherbalhome 1133@gmail.com god bless you all https://drowobuherbalhome1.wixsite.com/drowobuherbalhome

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever wonder if there is cure to Herpes? Yes there is cure with Dr Noah healing traditional remedy kindly contact Dr Noah if you are suffering from any disease via Call/Text +1 310 982-4670,
    website: https://noahmedicalcentre.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete